Iraqi forces backed by Iran have moved into Syria to support the government's efforts to counter insurgents who recently captured parts of Aleppo, according to the IDF and monitoring groups, marking an escalation in the regional conflict. IDF Spokesperson Daniel Hagari told Sky News on Monday that the movement of the Iranian proxies into Syria from Iraq to help the Syrian regime was noted just hours after Israeli officials expressed concern over such a development.
"The Iranian regime is sending reinforcements of forces to Syria, and Israel will prevent Iranian weapons from reaching Syria. Iran has sent dozens of fighters by air to Syria from Iraqi militias loyal to it and from the Revolutionary Guards," Hagari said.
The deployment, reported by The Associated Press, comes as opposition fighters led by Hayat Tahrir al-Sham launched a significant offensive last week, pushing into areas around Idlib and Hama provinces while seizing portions of Aleppo, Syria's largest city.
Government forces have established defensive positions in northern Hama as they work to halt the opposition's momentum, while airstrikes targeted rebel positions on Sunday, AP reported.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi demonstrated Tehran's commitment to Damascus during a meeting with Syrian President Bashar Assad on Sunday. "I clearly announced full-fledged support to President Assad, government, army, and people of Syria by the Islamic Republic of Iran," Araghchi said, according to AP. After the Damascus meeting, he traveled to Ankara for discussions with Turkish officials, who have supported opposition groups.
An Iraqi militia official, speaking to AP on condition of anonymity due to lack of authorization to address the media, confirmed that Tehran-aligned Iraqi forces already in Syria had mobilized, with additional units crossing the border to support Assad's forces.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a Britain-based monitoring group, reported that approximately 200 Iraqi fighters in pickup trucks entered Syria through the Bou Kamal border crossing overnight. These forces are expected to deploy to Aleppo to assist in the Syrian army's counter-offensive, the monitor told AP.
Meanwhile, Syrian and Russian forces continued aerial bombardment of opposition positions, primarily in Hama and Idlib provinces. The Syrian Civil Defense reported at least 10 civilian casualties in Idlib city and surrounding areas.
In the north, Kurdish civilians fled as Turkish-backed opposition forces captured Tel Rifaat from US-supported Kurdish authorities. The Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces largely withdrew from the area and requested humanitarian corridors to facilitate safe passage of civilians toward Aleppo and eventually to Kurdish-controlled northeastern regions.