Finance Minister Avigdor Lieberman and Justice Minister Gideon Sa'ar announced on Thursday that they agreed to grant some NIS 500,000 (roughly $160,000) to the families of the victims of the Mount Meron disaster.
Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
At least 45 people were killed and over 150 injured on April 29 in a stampede during a pilgrimage to the Tomb of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yohai, where tens of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Jews gathered to celebrate the Jewish holiday of Lag Ba'Omer.
"The pain cannot be eliminated, but we will do everything in our capabilities to provide the maximum response for the families and we will take all precautions to prevent the next disaster," Lieberman said in a joint statement with Sa'ar.
The proposal still requires government approval.
"The tremendous loss experienced by the 45 families in Israel and the Jewish Diaspora is not compensable. The least the government can do is ensure that a case like this doesn't happen again and to economically assist the families that were harmed," Sa'ar said.
The proposal was drafted by Justice Ministry Director-General Eran Davidi.
Earlier this month, a Knesset committee rejected a bill offering compensation to the victims, presented by MK Ya'akov Asher of the United Torah Judaism party.
"The financial aid should have been given a long time ago," said Asher.
"Every day that passes is more distress and hardship for the families that have been waiting in vain for more than eight months," he said.
Subscribe to Israel Hayom's daily newsletter and never miss our top stories!