Iran's sole nuclear power plant has undergone an unexplained temporary emergency shutdown, state TV reported on Sunday.
Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook and Twitter
An official from the state electric company Tavanir, Gholamali Rakhshanimehr, said that the shutdown at the Bushehr plant, 1,200 kilometers (746 miles) south of Tehran, began on Saturday and would last "for three to four days."
Without elaborating, he said that power outages could result. This is the first time Iran has reported an emergency shutdown of the plant, which went online in 2011 with help from Russia. Iran is required to send spent fuel rods from the reactor back to Russia as a nuclear nonproliferation measure.
Earlier on Sunday, Tavanir released a statement saying that the nuclear plant was being repaired, without offering further details. It said the repair work would take until Friday.
In March, nuclear official Mahmoud Jafari said the plant could stop working since Iran cannot procure parts and equipment for it from Russia due to banking sanctions imposed by the US in 2018.
Bushehr is fueled by uranium produced in Russia, not Iran, and is monitored by the United Nations' International Atomic Energy Agency. The IAEA acknowledged being aware of reports about the plant, but declined to comment.
Construction on Bushehr, on the coast of the northern reaches of the Persian Gulf, began under Iran's shah in the mid-1970s. After the 1979 Islamic Revolution, the plant was repeatedly targeted in the Iran-Iraq war. Russia later completed the construction of the facility.
The plant, which sits near active fault lines and was built to withstand powerful quakes, has been periodically shaken by temblors. There have been no significant earthquakes reported in the area in recent days.
Subscribe to Israel Hayom's daily newsletter and never miss our top stories!