Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is calling for a boycott of an Israeli TV channel for producing the new HBO docudrama "Our Boys," which he condemned as anti-Semitic.
Netanyahu says the series slanders Israel internationally. The show, co-created by Israeli and Palestinian filmmakers, presents a dramatized rendition of the chaotic events of June 2014 following the abduction of three Israeli teens, Gil-ad Shaer, 16, from Talmon, Eyal Yifrach, 19, from Elad, and Naftali Fraenkel, 16, from Nof Ayalon, an American citizen, by Hamas in the West Bank. Their bodies were found some two weeks later. It focuses on the brutal murder of Palestinian teenager Muhammad Abu Khdeir by a Jewish gang. The abduction compounded an already volatile security situation, which escalated into Operation Protective Edge in the Gaza Strip.
Follow Israel Hayom on Facebook and Twitter
According to media watchdog CAMERA, the murder of the three Jewish teens is "depicted with hardly any pathos and seems simply to be the inciting incident for the film's central drama – finding the Jewish perpetrators of the appalling murder of Muhammad Abu Khdeir."
Some 120 bereaved families from the Choosing Life forum sent a letter to HBO to protest the series, which they say equates Jewish terrorism with Palestinian terrorism, following its premiere.
Netanyahu was widely condemned Sunday for the remarks, part of his pre-election assault on the media.
Netanyahu has previously accused the Keshet network of "committing a terror attack against democracy." The station aired leaked reports of police investigation into corruption charges against him.
Netanyahu says Keshet executives tarnish him "on a daily basis."