"I stand shoulder to shoulder" with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu when it comes to Iran, Israel Resilience party leader Benny Gantz said on Sunday in his first speech on the international stage.
Speaking at the Munich Security Conference, Gantz, a former IDF chief of staff and Netanyahu's main rival in the upcoming general election, vowed that he would not allow Iran to acquire nuclear weapons "on his watch" as prime minister.
Moments earlier, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif addressed the same audience and accused Israel of looking for war. Zarif also blasted what he called the United States' "unhealthy fixation" with his country.
"You heard Zarif, don't believe his lies," Gantz urged the audience.
"I really see what is happening in Iran, and I can tell you with certainty that the regime that Zarif represents is evil. He calls for the destruction of my country, oppresses women, executes minorities and violates human rights, and terrorizes the Middle East and the whole world," Gantz added.
"It's no secret that Netanyahu is my political rival, we do not agree on everything, but do not be mistaken, we are two sons of that country. On the critical issues there is no right and left, and when it comes to defending Israel we are united. I stand shoulder to shoulder with Netanyahu against Iran," Gantz added.
Gantz called Hezbollah "the most dangerous terrorist organization in the world."
"Those in Europe who want peace, security and stability must act against Hezbollah. We all see the tragedy in Syria, but there is also good news, in many ways Israel is closer to the Arab states than ever before. These countries understood that Israel is not part of the problem, it is part of the solution."
Zarif's comments came a day after U.S. Vice President Mike Pence prodded European powers Germany, France and Britain to follow Washington in withdrawing from the nuclear deal with Iran and to "stop undermining U.S. sanctions."
"Certainly, some people are looking for war … Israel," Zarif said at the Munich Security Conference, accusing Israel of violating international law by bombing Iranian military targets in Syria, from where Iran has fired missiles at the Jewish state.
Zarif also criticized European powers for not calling out Israel and the United States for their behavior in the region.
"The risk [of war] is great. The risk will be even greater if you continue to turn a blind eye to severe violations of international law. Israeli behavior is putting international law on the shelf, U.S. behavior is putting international law on the shelf," he said.
The U.S. withdrew unilaterally last year from the 2015 agreement, which offers Iran sanctions relief for limiting its nuclear program.
"We have long been the target of an unhealthy fixation, let's say obsession" from the United States, Zarif said. Pence, he added, "arrogantly demanded that Europe must join the United States in undermining its own security and breaking its obligations."
Zarif, who said Iran was committed to the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers for now, also accused France, Britain and Germany of not doing enough to ensure Tehran received the economic benefits of that accord.
Also on Sunday, in his latest attempt to weaken ties between regional rival Saudi Arabia and America, Iranian resident Hassan Rouhani said his country is ready to work with all of its neighbors to secure peace in the Middle East in the face of U.S. and Israeli aggression.
Iran and Saudi Arabia have been fighting proxy wars for years, backing opposing sides in conflicts in Syria and Yemen.
"Iran is ready to work with regional states to preserve security in the Middle East," Rouhani said in a public speech in the southern Hormozgan province, broadcast live on state TV.
"We want to establish brotherly ties with all countries of the region. … Iran has never started any aggression in the region."
"Those regional states that believe Israel and America can establish security are wrong. We, the Muslims, should ensure the regional security," Rouhani said, to chants of "Death to America" and "Death to Israel."
Rouhani's previous overtures to Saudi Arabia, such as after his election in 2013 and efforts by Zarif in 2017, have had no success, and some analysts were skeptical his latest attempt would be different.
"Considering the ongoing hostility, there is no possibility of a dialogue between the arch enemies," said Tehran-based analyst Hamid Farahvashian.
Iran accuses Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates of supporting militant Sunni groups that carry out attacks against Iranian forces, including a suicide bombing on Wednesday in Iran's southeastern province that borders Pakistan.
Sunni group Jaish al Adl (Army of Justice), which says it seeks greater rights and better living conditions for the ethnic minority Baluchis, claimed responsibility for the attack that killed 27 members of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards Corps.
The Revolutionary Guards have threatened Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Pakistan with retaliation.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Pakistan deny backing the militants. Iran's foreign ministry on Sunday summoned Pakistan's ambassador to protest Wednesday's attack.