EU funding legal proceedings against IDF soldiers, ‎watchdog group finds ‎

The collaboration between the European Union and ‎left-wing groups seeking to undermine Israel and the ‎IDF now includes the funding of legal proceedings ‎against IDF soldiers, a watchdog group revealed Sunday.‎ ‎ ‎

NGO Monitor, which promotes greater transparency ‎among foreign-funded Israeli nongovernmental ‎organization, claims that the program, to which the ‎EU has allocated just over €250,000 ($290,000), was set up at ‎the request of three left-wing groups and is slated to be ‎in place at least until 2021.‎

This latest initiative is the brainchild of Yesh Din – ‎Volunteers for Human Rights; Breaking the Silence, ‎an advocacy group dedicated to exposing alleged ‎wrongdoings by the IDF; and Physicians for Human ‎Rights – Israel.‎

According to NGO Monitor's website, the initiative is designed to increase "Israeli security forces personnel accountability for forcible home entries in line with democratic standards and international humanitarian and human rights law."

The appeal, titled "Addressing the Culture of Impunity within Israel's Security Forces Personnel," ‎claim that the Israeli judiciary is incapable of ‎properly investigating illegal actions against ‎Palestinians when those are committed by IDF ‎soldiers.‎

"The military justice system grants nearly complete impunity for Israeli security forces personnel and their conduct" regarding "forcible home entries."

The three Israeli groups intend to address these supposed deficiencies by "Appealing decisions to close investigations on a case-by-case basis" and "Filing petitions to High Court of Justice on specific cases and principled matters," the website said.

The Europeans often accuse Israel of allowing its ‎security forces to act with impunity, thus exempting ‎them from accountability for their actions.‎

The EU's consent to fund such legal action is ‎considered a serious legal threat, as up until now, the ‎international community has accepted the assumption ‎that Israel is capable of investigating itself. ‎

The initiative could, in fact, compromise Israel internationally, as under the Rome Statute, the treaty that ‎outlines the principles by which the International ‎Criminal Court in The Hague operates, a country's ‎inability to investigate itself is grounds for ICC ‎intervention.‎

The groups claim the program is necessary so as to ‎‎"identify and address, through legal and public advocacy, systemic failures in the military administrative and judicial procedures that stand in the way of access to justice for Palestinians," meaning to point a finger at ‎officers and soldiers.‎

The groups have asked the EU for funding to supply ‎Palestinian women with video cameras, so they could ‎document the IDF's security missions, especially ‎arrest raids.‎

This is necessary for the purpose of building a ‎database, providing testimony, following up on ‎investigations, filing appeals over their closing, ‎and filing High Court of Justice petitions on ‎matters of principle and in specific cases, the ‎funding request explained. ‎

The program means to keep the issue of Israel and ‎its security forces' impunity "on the international ‎agenda," as well as "increase international awareness to the systemic impact of law enforcement failure for Palestinian communities and the human rights situation in the West Bank and in Jerusalem."

The funding request ‎makes no mention of the fact that ‎the measures employed by Israeli security forces are part of the IDF and Shin Bet security ‎agency's ongoing counterterrorism efforts.‎

Shin Bet Director Nedav Argaman revealed last week ‎‎that these efforts‎ have ‎‎prevented over ‎250 major terrorist attacks since the ‎‎beginning of the year.‎ ‎

The program has been set up despite its potential ‎‎disruption to daily counterterrorism efforts, NGO ‎‎Monitor‎ said. The funding request does not ‎specifically state that that is what it seeks to do, ‎but the steps is suggests taking appear to aim for ‎that result.‎ ‎

‎"This is a disturbing step in the way these ‎organizations are working to raise money, especially ‎given the European Union's agreement to fund a ‎project that claims that the Israeli judiciary is ‎dysfunctional," a statement by NGO Monitor said. ‎

A statement by Breaking the Silence said that "as ‎usual, Israel Hayom is not interested in checking ‎the facts, only in false headlines that serve the ‎political agenda of the government for which it ‎works. ‎

‎"Breaking the Silence does not, in any way, seek to ‎prosecute Israeli soldiers and their identity is ‎protected from those who wish them harm. Anyone ‎trying to describe a different reality at the ‎expense of journalistic integrity, including Israel ‎Hayom, does so at their own risk."‎

A statement by Yesh Din said, "This is a biased ‎report that aims to present human rights groups' ‎activities in a false and distorted manner. ‎

‎"As we were not given adequate time to respond to ‎this nonsense, we will say only that the attempt to ‎present this initiative as one trying to undermine ongoing ‎IDF activities is utterly baseless, and it is clear ‎anyone in their right mind, including the reporter ‎and his sources, that the truth is light-years away ‎from that. ‎

‎"The claim that this program allegedly seeks to ‎prosecute Israeli soldiers at the ICC is also a ‎total lie," the group said. ‎

The European Union was unavailable for comment.