A Swedish court has found three men guilty of attempted arson against a synagogue in Gothenburg, Sweden's second-largest city, on Dec. 9 last year. Two of the men were sentenced to two years in jail and the third was sentenced to 15 months.
The Gothenburg District Court said Monday the case involved two Palestinians and a Syrian. One of the Palestinians, a 22-year-old from the Gaza Strip, had his asylum application turned down following the attack and will be deported after serving his sentence. The others, aged 19 and 24, have Swedish residency permits.
The court said the three men were part of a masked group who threw burning objects at the synagogue and two cars parked on the property, causing minor damage.
The prosecution said the arson attack was a reaction to the U.S. decision on Dec. 7 to recognize Jerusalem as Israel's capital.
The three men were the only people charged over the attack, and all three pleaded not guilty.